Junior Instructor Camps
ZEP's been training kids to mountain bike since the late 90’s. We’ve seen the power of this sport to help transform kids into confident, excited young adults… time and time again. This camp is designed for teens who love biking and who are interested in developing their riding skills and while learning how to guide and coach.
It’s a great stepping stone to becoming an MTB coach for programs like the WORCA bike camps, or simply an awesome week to shred, have fun and build their confidence, skills and passion.
WHO’S IT FOR...
Teenagers between the ages of 14-16 who are avid mountain bikers and at the intermediate level of riding, or above. Students should be comfortable on green or blue single-track trails, and easy single-black diamond trails. Typical students are comfortable with any trails in Lost Lake or trails like B-line, Karate Monkey or Crank-It-Up, in the bike park.
Students should be willing to learn with an open mind and have a genuine interest and drive in wanting to progress their skills and learn about coaching.
- Day 1: Skills development coaching, assessment and shredding in the Whistler Valley Trails.
- Days 2 & 3: Continued skills coaching with individual feedback and attention from the best coaches in the business. These guys train 80% of the instructors in the industry… worldwide!
- Days 4 & 5: PMBI Junior Instructor Course: a two day course designed to train and prepare teenagers how to work as an Assistant Instructor. More info here: http://www.pmbia.org/courses/junior-guide/
- Healthy, tasty lunches provided each day at Gone Bakery!
- First three days are 10am - 4.00pm
- Last two days are 8.30am - 4.30pm
Learn things like
- Bike & Suspension set-up
- How to climb more technical trails
- How to descend faster with more safety and control
- How to better control speeds on steeps and rock rolls
- How to navigate tech trails with more control & steeze!
- How to jump more safely, consistently and with style!
- How to adapt to different drops at different speeds
- How to rail any corner; flat, bermed, fast or slow
- How to structure and plan a lesson
- How to assess technical skills and physical capabilities
- Riding Theory of MTB, including basic physics and biomechanics
- Teaching Skills: communication structure and learning styles
- Guiding Skills: safety rules, class management and terrain choice
- Risk Management: good decision making, cause and effect
Build your confidence, have fun, meet some new friends and get even more stoked on this amazing sport. The ZEP coaches have years of experience training and teaching kids and teenagers how to ride and can offer the encouraging, fun learning environment you’re looking for.
What to bring
A good quality, well maintained mountain bike with disc brakes and good quality, aggressive tires. A modern “Enduro” bike that can be ridden in and out of the bike park, will be ideal. Full face helmet and knee pads are mandatory on Bike Park days. Arm and spine protection is recommended, but up to you; also gloves, hydration pack with water and snacks and a spare tube.
2019 DATES & PRICING
|Program||$649 / person + tax||Includes 5 days of coaching and training, with lunches|
|Lift Ticket||$TBA||If required, please contact us for details|
|Bike Rental||Should you require a bike rental, please contact Cross Country Connection or Evolution Bike Shop|